Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Week 15 - Jenny

This practice felt different from last week even though it was the same sequence.  But of course, I'm in a different place than I was last week.  That's one thing I like about repeating sequences - you can really see where you are on a given day.

The practice seemed to fly by today.  It still took close to two hours, but it felt shorter.

The thing that stood out most for me was the dazy feeling I had after the practice.  You know - that "I just finished yoga class" feeling.  I always feel great after practicing, of course, but I haven't felt dazed since the days when I first took class.  I went outside instead of sitting to write this.  And I sat and looked at the grass and trees waving in the breeze.  It was so beautiful.

I was a little concerned about time today, though it turns out I didn't have to be - so I moved somewhat swiftly through the sequence.  I didn't take a lot of time to read and "workshop" the poses.  I just did them, reminding myself of alignment cues, etc.  But the concentration on the practice was more than usual.  I have almost the entire sequence memorized - it's only when the new poses come in that I have to look at the book.  So I can go through it mostly uninterrupted.  Swift without interruptions accounted for a focus that allowed those things - openness? release? freedom? meditation? clarity? - that brought up the dazed feeling.  At least that's how I read it.

You know, as yoga teachers, we're always telling our students and ourselves to slow down.  Because most of us are moving too fast through life.  But it seems there are reasons to speed up every once in awhile.

No comments: