Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week 5 - Ariana

What's new in this sequence: abdominal work (Prasarita Padasana, Navasana and Ardha Navasana) and a Pranayama exercise. I could always use a little of both so I was looking forward to today's practice. That positive state of mind shaped the entire practice. It seemed to flow almost effortlessly.

This time I did the sequence in the morning. I fit it in whenever I can. So far I have tried it at night, the afternoon and now the morning. I have to say I prefer the morning. It is a terrific way to start the day. Surprisingly my body was not stiff, which it usually is in the morning. Maybe
I was more limber because it was not my first movement of the day. I had been up for a while and walked my daughter to school and back. I began the practice with 10 Sun salutations to warm up. At least I intended to do 10. I lost count.

I did not feel neck strain today in the poses - not even in shoulderstand or plow. My shoulderstand was back today. Somehow I lost it last week.

I got ahead of myself with the Pranayama exercise. I followed the main instructions for Ujjayi Pranayama in Section 203 (p. 441 in my edition) which instructs to sit in any comfortable position and lower the chin to the chest for the Jalandara Bandha. I neglected to see that for this particular sequence the Ujjayi breath was to be done while in Savasana. So I did it both ways.
It felt odd to do this "victorious" or "triumphant" breath while in Savasana. I am used to using that breath while moving in and out of the asanas and sun salutations. Because of that association I find it to be a powerful breath. But it is also steadying. Doing Ujjayi while in Savasana exaggerates that calming quality. Iyengar says this is the only pranayama which can be done at all times of the day and night.

After this sequence I felt centered and calm and ready to tackle the day.

Did I just say tackle?

No comments: