Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Week 3 - Jenny

Slightly different sequence this week. Mr. Iyengar adds Revolved Triangle (Parivrtta Trikonasana) and Wide-Legged Forward Bend (Prasarita Padottanasana I). Laying in Savasana at the end of this sequence, I felt extreme length through the whole center of the body - front and sides. And in Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana I), I was able to lengthen through my spine more than usual - I was taller. I'm not sure what it was. I think it's length through the side body (once again) as created by the sequence, which started in Extended Triangle (Utthita Trikonasana) and moved on to Extended Side Angle (Utthita Parsvokanasana). I wonder if the added twist in Revolved Triangle had anything to do with it. I'm sure it did. Considering the sequence is almost the same as the last 2 weeks - the only differences are the added twist before Intense Side Stretch Pose (Parsvotanasana) - a side stretching pose in its own right - and then Wide-Legged Forward Bend, where I was surprised to find a nice stretch through the groins and the inner thighs. I've done this pose many a time, but not exactly the way Mr. Iyengar directs in this book. He has you jump your legs wide - "4 1/2-5 feet" - then lean forward tipping the pelvis forward, then place your head on the floor and let your spine round. I've always been taught to bring the legs closer together if the head touches the floor. I read recently in Judith Lasater's book that you can round the spine and rest the head on the floor in more of a meditative position, but that's the first I heard of it. I really like Mr. Iyengar's version. Having rather flexible hamstrings (the one naturally flexible part of my body - we all have something), I always had to move my feet in towards each other to prevent myself from having to round the spine. But here, Mr. Iyengar allows you to round the spine. And in this position, I found a nice, not too intense stretch through the groins and inner thighs, as well as a restful, meditative shape. And you hang from your pelvis. And that also explains the feeling of extreme length through the torso at the end of it all. Taller. Huh.

No comments: